If you are an employee, it could be that your employer is reimbursing you for business mileage in your private vehicle.

However, it is worth checking to see that they are reimbursing you at the full HMRC approved mileage rate – or indeed claiming this if they are not reimbursing you for mileage at all.

HMRC allow the first 10,000 miles on business to be reimbursed at 45p/mile, with a rate of 25p/mile after that.

If your employer has paid you less than this, then it is possible to claim for the balance from HMRC.

You can either claim tax relief directly from HMRC or we can claim this when preparing your tax return and reviewing your tax position for the year.

Please do contact me if you have any business mileage in your own car and would like to investigate claiming tax relief.